Sunday, March 29, 2009

Final Project Proposal

My final project for this class will be an interactive costume.
I would like to:
-create a costume that interacts/performs/communicates between two people
-I would like my audience to know that they are watching an art performance
- I think the best space for that would be Kenilworth, preferably during an event there
-have this work be an extension of the ideas I am researching in currently in my practice
-relate to protection/antagonism as well as seperation/closeness










Ursula Guttman


I am thinking I would like to make an organ-like fanny pack/bag/purse that would hang off of the body. The fiber it is made from will either be compact at the beginning of the performance or limp and dragging on the floor. The pico device along with other prothestics needed for the performance will be inside the fiber material, hidden from the public eye. The piece will be activated by touch and when activated, extensions will extend beyond the body and bring form to the fabric that was either lifeless on the floor or crumpled up close to the body. Since the objective is about touch, the different places and amount of time touched will create different shapes from the fiber material. I am trying to decide also if there will be a specific dance like performance between two people and then others will be offered to participate or if that will be it.





Five Conceptual Questions:

1. Will the performance read as creating distance between two people in a longing sort of way or in a repulsive sort of way. I think the performance should answer this question. Based on how the performers react.

2. How will organs that protect by forcing people from being close read? I mean does that even make sense?

3. Why is touch creating barriers between the two lovers? What is keeping them apart? How far do I need to go to explain this, or can the viewer insert their own personal narrative?

4. How long should the performance last? How drawn out should each movement between the people be? How can these choices effect the impact of the performace?

5. Could the extensions attach to the performers? And could they then extend the pieces farther?


Five Technical Questions:

1. What materials could I use to successfully create a costume that is flat at the beginning of the performance and extended out at the end of the performance? Telescoping will definitely be my friend here, but what is the best material choice for the telescoping and what are the limits of the possibilities of telescoping here?

2. In what way could I use the pico to activate the telescoping? Turning? Pushing? Maybe the pico is what initiates the movement, but the performer follows it up.

3. Will I need to create a transistor in addition to the pico? If so, how the heck will I integrate the two?

4. I would like to be completely mobile. Is that possible with what I am trying to do?

5. Within the limitations of the battery life and strength of the pico, how far and how long can the turning or pushing of the telescoped extensions last?

Needed Materials:

Fabric
Telescoping materials (metal? Plastic? Fiber as well?)
Pico
A partner for the performance (preferably Matt)
Sensors that react to touch-possibly several


Production Schedule
4/2 (in process crit) have material investigations ready to discuss
4/9 pretty much figure out which materials I am using and have costume semi-built
4/16 start figuring out the electronic portion of performance
4/23 (in process crit) have attempt at electronic component ready to crit
4/30 performance rehearsals
5/7 final crit

No comments:

Post a Comment