Tuesday, April 14, 2009

New Design for Final Project

I have thought about my Final Project Design, and after our work day last Thursday, I think I understand how this microprocessor is going to work with my creations. I have an ongoing body of work I would like this piece to complement so I am leaning in that direction.

That being said, I initially wanted this piece to work with two people. I like the idea of the reciprocal, but I'm not too sure that I can pull it off with this piece anymore, because the viewer (the audience) is the reciprocal, so trying to squeeze a third in their seems unecessary at this point, although I would like to try that again later, maybe it will work with the next piece.

Here are some drawings I did of what I was considering when I was thinking of working in pair with a boy..reciprocal..





























I am still really interested in this idea of using the body as subject. Most recently I have been doing research about why certain parts of the body are considered beautiful to us. At the beginning of the semester, I was most interested in the bust area, which I think is a natural place to begin since our culture places so much attention towards it. Now, I have moved to the hips. The hips have a much more significant sexualized value because that is much closer to the place where intercourse actually happens as well as it not being available to us as much as breasts are.

The hips have been exaggerated quite violently in our past, and I would like to narrow in on a specific type of body extension, the pannier, which is in the same family as the bustle, however located on the sides of the body instead of the backside.






































At times, these body modifications reached quite extensive lengths, fully flattening the wearer, as well as making it almost impossible for these women to move without the help of assistants, a true symbol of wealth and class.

Understanding that part of our taste in beauty is this evolutionary residue of our natural instincts telling us who would be suitable for mating, which perhaps, these widening hip extensions somehow inform us.



















I would like to use that instinct at a lure to pull the viewer in, creating a belt-like attachment that resembles the pannier, but is constructed of my little eye opening and shutting devices, which should also pull the viewer in, then return gaze and threaten them with the evil eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment